Saturday, October 4, 2014

Flash! Friday–Vol 2 – 38: Major Tom

August 29, 2014

It's Flash Friday! I've recently jumped into the Flash Fiction universe. I've learned so much from reading other people's wonderful entries. Thanks to all of you!  

Every Friday our challenge is to craft a 150-word story (10-word leeway) based on the photo prompt. We must also incorporate a specific word or topic.  This week's special element was "include an alien." This week's photo prompt was:

Gemini V, August 29, 1965. Public domain photo courtesy of NASA.

Major Tom
(159 words)

I hover, peering through the glass, at the life and energy swirling below me. I cannot reach it. I’m no longer a part of that world, and yet I’m tethered to it. I feel alien, but I cannot leave.

A screech below me rips the air and my heart. Slamming my eyes shut, I cringe from the bright fire’s searching fingers. Blistering fear consumes me and I struggle to stay upright.

A flare of voices yanks me from the imaginary flames and I turn from my dusty view of the street below. I stare at the squawking television, at the images of a joyful homecoming that only serve to crush my soul further.

“Thomas,” I whimper, “how can those men blast into orbit in a tin can and return alive—and yet you can’t drive to the bank and back?”

With the force of a thousand lonely nights, my arm sweeps the television to the floor.

All goes black.
------------------

Join me in Flash!

No comments:

Post a Comment