Sunday, October 12, 2014

Remembering John Denver

When I was young my parents often played John Denver's music. Even as a child, his words touched my heart. As a teenager, I might not have shouted my affection for his music to the rooftops--after all, it wasn't "cool" to like that type of music--but I never stopped loving it. I admired his ability to capture the wonders of nature, the power of emotions, and that special something else that, to this day, I can't identify. He had an awareness of, a connection to, the world around him. Somehow, he managed to communicate all of it through song.  


In memory of John Denver (1943-1997)

John Denver died October 12, 1997, in the crash of a small aircraft he'd built with his own hands. He died as he lived--sailing on the wind and appreciating the power and beauty of the world around him. His loss still saddens me, even 17 years later. I guess when someone touches your heart, they are destined to always be a part of you. 

Fly free forever, sweet soul....


Windsong
by John Denver

Wind is the whisper of our mother the earth

Wind is the hand of our father the sky

Wind watches over our struggles and pleasures

The wind is the goddess who first learned to fly

Wind is the bearer of bad and good tidings

Weaver of darkness, bringer of dawn

Wind gives the rain, then builds us a rainbow

The wind is the singer who sang the first song

Wind is a twister of anger and warning

The wind brings the fragrance of freshly mown hay

The wind is a racer and wild stallion running

And the sweet taste of love on a slow summers day

The wind knows the songs of cities and canyons

Thunder of mountains, roar of the sea

Wind is the taker and giver of mornings

The wind is the symbol of all that is free

So, welcome the wind and the wisdom she offers

Follow her summons when she calls again

In your heart and your spirit, let the breezes surround you

Lift up your voice then and sing with the wind

No comments:

Post a Comment