Saturday, January 10, 2015

Flash! Friday, Vol 3 – 4: The Better Choice

Flash Friday Challenge, January 2, 2015


Happy New Year!

Every Friday our challenge is to craft a 150-word story (10-word leeway) based on the photo prompt. Here's this week's picture--and my story:

Spying, 1972. CC3 photo by Daniel Teoli Jr.
Spying, 1972. CC3 photo by Daniel Teoli Jr.


The Better Choice
(157 words)

“Listen for the firecrackers, Alby. When ol’ man Johnson walks away to check it out, you run in and grab the cigs.”

My heart plummets as I stare into the steel gaze of my older cousin, Sam. I shake my head until my brain rattles. “Uh-uh.”

Sam’s eyes narrow. “Don’t be a baby.”

His words pierce my pride. Before I waver, Gramma’s words echo in my head. Be a good boy, Alby. I love you. The pain lessens. I stick out my chin. “No.”

Sam leans closer and his sour breath turns my stomach. “Fine. Baby had his chance to be big. Joey’ll do it.”

Joey nods, sneering at me.

I turn and tear away, my feet pounding concrete and my breath ripping my chest.

Firecrackers clatter behind me. Winded and afraid, I collapse against a sturdy traffic box.

Moments later, two sharp popping sounds punctuate the air. Someone screams.

Those didn’t sound like firecrackers to me.

Thanks for stopping by. Try your hand at flash fiction--it can be addicting! 



No comments:

Post a Comment